How to Make Pioneer Woman Ambrosia Salad
This fruit salad is a great delicacy to enjoy during summer, spring, or any time you want. The word ‘Ambrosia’ refers to the gods’ magical fruit in Greek mythology. As its name, the pioneer woman ambrosia salad recipe includes various fruits. Coming from different places, some recipes require different fruits.
Yet to make this recipe memorable, this recipe uses some special ingredients like fruits, nuts, creams, and more. For the fruits, either canned or fresh fruits are good for this dessert. As some say that this salad was made to make canned fruit fancy. Hence if you want to taste the originality of the recipe, you can use canned fruits. However, if you want a healthier and fresher salad, use the fresh ones. More detailed ingredients and steps are presented below.
- Diced pineapple, 250 grams
- Diced pecans, 65 grams
- Heavy cream, 180 grams
- Mandarin oranges, 312 grams
- Seedless maraschino, 284 grams (remove the stem and cut in a half)
- Mini marshmallows, 3 cups
- Shredded coconut, 93 grams
- Sour cream, 80 grams
- If you don’t have heavy cream, you can mix 184 grams of milk and 75 grams of softened butter. The mixture has a quite similar texture and taste to heavy cream.
- If there isn’t sour cream available, you can add Crème Fraiche, Greek yogurt, regular yogurt, buttermilk, coconut milk, cottage cheese, soy, or cashews. Mind the consistency and stain the excess liquid for a thicker result.
Instructions for Making Pioneer Woman Ambrosia Salad
- If the pecan hasn’t been baked, preheat the oven to 176 degrees Celcius first. Then add in the pecans and bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Once the pecans are done, take them out of the oven and let them cool down thoroughly.
- Prepare the cream by whisking the heavy cream until it creates stiff peaks. Then mix with sour cream, so they are well combined.
- After that fold in the marshmallows, pineapple, Mandarin oranges, and shredded coconut. Stir them gently to combine.
- Transfer the salad to a bowl and seal it with plastic wrap, covers, or others. Let the salad chill in a refrigerator for 2-3 hours at least or overnight.
- Before being served, add dices of maraschino cherries and baked pecans. Then stir them well in the salad.
- Serve the Ambrosia salad with whole cherries on top.
The fruits stated in the pioneer woman ambrosia salad recipe are the essential ones. If you want to add more variations of fruits, it could make the salad more colorful. However, the taste might not be similar to the original one. Nowadays there are many variations to the recipe such as adding dried fruits, nutmeg, cinnamon, purple grapes, cashews, almonds, or clementine.
Serving while it is chill is also more recommended because the fruits can be crunchier. You can store it in a fridge only for three days. Later than that, the salad might be spoiled. To enjoy, you can complement the salad with other dishes like brownie mix, spinach strawberry salad, apple galette, nut bars, cookies, biscuits, and fresh juices. Not only tasty, but this dessert is also nutritious.
Pioneer Woman Ambrosia Salad
- Author : Sarah Hanna
- Cuisine : American
- Type : Salad
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cooking Time : 20 Minutes
- Total Time : 40 Minutes
- Servings : 2
Read Also :